Re: GRUB vs LILO

    Chris> I've got a question too.  I've got a running Debian Woody box
    Chris> under LILO, how do I go about changing from LILO to GRUB?  I
    Chris> think I installed GRUB, but it just installed the files without
    Chris> causing LILO to be replaced.

The booting starts from the MBR or a root partition, not from any file.  So
it is okay to leave the LILO files there: all that matters is what is in the
MBR, and if the MBR is the standard one which cause the first active
partition to boot (very unlikely: it is usually replaced by LILO), what is
in the root partition.  Of course, after being satisfied with Grub, there is
no reason to retain LILO either, and you can "apt-get remove" it.

To install grub, basically you have to replace the MBR with the GRUB boot
loader code.  The command "grub-install" should do the trick.  If that fails
for any reason, you can fire up "grub" and type "root (hd0, x)" (x is the
partition number of the partition holding /boot, 0 means hda1).  If no error
message comes out, type "setup (hd0)" and it is done.  Of course you still
have to make a good "menu.lst", which can be created using "update-grub".

Regards,
Isaac.