Re: Multiple charsets at once?

Hi,

> | So far, Mozilla _displays_ Arabic pages nicely, but I cannot get the
> | email client to type in Arabic to save my life - it doesn't even know
> | the fonts are available.  And that would be about the farthest I've
> | gotten.  Using a new install of Woody (net install, by the way - went
> | perfectly - good work all!).

I've found that I can have a very nice English and Japanese set-up
coexisting without too many problems. By default I have:

hastings@onefish ~ 24%  locale
LANG=en_AU
LC_CTYPE="en_AU"
LC_NUMERIC="en_AU"
LC_TIME="en_AU"
LC_COLLATE="en_AU"
LC_MONETARY="en_AU"
LC_MESSAGES="en_AU"
LC_PAPER="en_AU"
LC_NAME="en_AU"
LC_ADDRESS="en_AU"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_AU"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_AU"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_AU"
LC_ALL=

NB. (en_AU = English Australian)

Then if I want to do something in Japanese eg. write an email in Japanese
in Galeon, I launch galeon with a little script that sets up the correct
environment:

hastings@onefish ~ 25%  cat bin/jp
#!/bin/sh
export LANG="ja_JP.EUC-JP"
export LC_ALL="ja_JP.EUC-JP"
kinput2 -canna &
export XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2"
$*

The last three lines are specific to Japanese input. Perhaps
you need something similar for Arabic? So if I do:

hastings@onefish ~ 26% jp galeon &

I get a instance of galeon that displays Japanese an will accept Japanese
input, while everything else in my session is still in English.
I don't know if the right-to-left input will be a problem though.

HTH,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux onefish 2.4.18-lavienx #1 Tue Jun 25 19:07:48 EST 2002