Re: Getting autofs to work "the Debian Way (TM)"

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 10:24:44 -0500 Nate Bargmann <n0nb@networksplus.net>
wrote:

> First, setting -fstype=auto causes the mount daemon to give an error
> when accessing a vfat or msdos formatted floppy.  Setting this to vfat
> causes it to work as expected allowing the contents of the disk to be
> read.

This is most likely because you are using a kernel with vfat support
compiled as a module and the module is not loaded when you attempt to
access the floppy with the fstype set to auto.  Try "modprobe vfat" prior
to the floppy access attempt.  I'm not sure what the specifics are on why
it can't determine the need for the module, but I suspect it has something
to do with the warning about the licensing contaminating the kernel when
you load the vfat module or possibly that since the module isn't loaded it
doesn't understand the file system.

> The first case seems like a bug in automount(8) as moun(8) seems
> perfectly capable of auto detecting the filesystem type and mounting it.

I take it you mean "mount" not "moun".  Does your /etc/fstab has the type
as auto for the floppy entry?

--
Jamin W. Collins