Re: [DEB-USER] alternative motd and logo?

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 19:12:19 -0500
Lance Simmons <lance@lsimmons.net> wrote:

>  Other than software from the GNU project and the Linux kernel, what
>  else is required to have an operating system? GNU/Linux seems to
>  pretty much sum up what the operating system _is_: GNU software and
>  the Linux kernel. All the other software we love (some of it released
>  under the GPL, some of it not) runs on this base. A GNU/Linux base.

Some people, migrating from the Windows or Mac world, probably can't use
Linux without X/Gnome (or KDE). I know I couldn't when I first started
with Mandrake. Should we then call a typical desktop distribution a
GNU/Linux/X/Gnome operating system? I define an operating system as all
that stuff that just sits there quietly in its little corner until it
starts throwing a tantrum or blue screen of death.