Re: [DEB-USER] Re: alternative motd and logo?

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 06:45:14PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:

> GNU gets puhlenty of credit when the license of 1/3 to 2/3 of the
> software on a typical Linux distro is the GPL.

Linux is released under the GPL, but that doesn't mean GNU gets credit
for Linux.

When people say that the GNU/Linux operating system depends on GNU
software, they _don't_ mean that it depends on a lot of software
released under the GPL (that would include Linux). They mean that the
operating system depends crucially on software that was actually written
by the GNU project.

Other than software from the GNU project and the Linux kernel, what else
is required to have an operating system? GNU/Linux seems to pretty much
sum up what the operating system _is_: GNU software and the Linux
kernel. All the other software we love (some of it released under the
GPL, some of it not) runs on this base. A GNU/Linux base.

--
 .~.
 /V\   Lance Simmons