Re: nightly death of X (and no consol access)

On Friday 02 August 2002 03:06 am, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 11:22:32AM -0700, G. L. `Griz' Inabnit wrote:
>
> Nice. And it ends .... where?

	Hmmmm. Interesting. Not helpful, but interesting. :--)  I'll take a gander
at this later. Fighting with Solaris_8/drive array/and five machines. Busy
day today.

> > Hey All,
> >
> > 	I have yet to see this mentioned on the list, so I fingered I had best
> > ask....
> >

> > 	Nightly X11 dies a sad and horrible death.
> > 	This is the second week that this has been occurring.
>
> Do you use a screen saver (which only happens to engage at night?). I
> faintly remember somebody mentioning problems with openGL screen savers
> causing lock-ups.

	No. But I've now had it actually die right in front of my face. I recieve
the warning from the crash detector (kmix/korganizer/different apps), then
KDE falls down. The log files are STILL not showing much, so I'm looking at
moving the logging to 'junk' level to start determining what/why.

> DPMS is a possible culprit too.

	PowerManagement??? (not familiar with dpms)

> > 	Cooling is MORE then adequate (27" box fan blowing on an open case).
>
> No ice bags? (beware of condensation) :-)

	Naw. The water cooler is on 'the other' box. :--)  It's running at..... 36.9
right now. :--)))

> > 	Log files show little or nothing.
>
> What little do they show? There may still be clues in them; more eyes
> are a good thing. The log from the X server ( from startup) combined
> with the config file may provide clues.

	I'd love to show you, but I (damnme!) didn't save the output. I was so
annoyed by the minimal amount of info, that I just moved on. The next crash,
I'll capture the logs again and paste them into here.

> > 	apt-get dist-upgrade   ran yesterday
>
> What distribution are you running? potato, woody/stable, testing/sarge,
> unstable?

	SID

> Was the X server upgraded too?

	I don't honestly know when the last time the xserver was updated. (shrug)

> > 	Abit KT7A
> > 	512 megs
> > 	Athlon 850 (not overclocked)
> > 	3DFX VD3 3000
>
> Which version of X are you running? Relevant bits of the config
> file would be helpful too.

{griz} U=griz
Dir=~ pts/0$ dg xserver
ii  xserver-common 4.1.0-17       files and utilities common to all X servers
ii  xserver-xfree8 4.1.0-17       the XFree86 X server

> > 	Anyone else suffering?
> >
> > 	Also, for an undetermined amount of time (just noticed it last week), I
> > can NOT get to a console. When I attempt to (from kdm logon screen), the
> > resulting screen has the kdm background picture, and the video stops
> > responding.
>
> I've had similar problems (but with a different graphics card). Seems
> like it (sometimes) has problems restoring the text-based vt's. Luckily
> the keyboard still works there, so I can log in "blind" and run "mode3"
> (from the svalib-bin package). At least that restores the vt to text.
> YMMV. RTFM.

	Ah!   mode3   huh? Cool! I'll give that a try! Thank You!

> I presume that everything is working OK while in X?

	Yup. No problems other then my abusive overcrowding of the desktops. :--)  I
love having the ability to have EVERYTHING I could possibly want to use,
already open and runnng!

> >             In this I mean that ALT-F7 does NOT return me back to kdm, or
> > if it does, the screen is NOT changing. Subsequently I either have to ssh
> > in from another machine, or CTRL-ALT-DEL to boot it back to sanity. Any
> > idears??? Thoughts??? Comments??? Flames??? :--)
>
> [I never had that half of the problem]

	Good! I don't want ANYONE to have any headaches with my linux. I enjoy it
too much. That and I'm selling more and more machines that are linux only.
The better we have this wonderful O/S running, the more of the world we can
rescue from The Gates of Hell.

> Definitely sounds like an X server problem. I guess that nobody will
> have a solution - at least until more information is available (see
> above).

	Yup. Now I'm looking at a possible memory/mb problem. It's not one app that
dies, taking down X11. I've seen a number of packages die now (being caught
by the kde crash detector). When this begins happening, X11's death is not
far behind. There is no error that shows beforehand. Just a sudden shimmer of
the background, then a drop to kdm.
	I've also discovered that I can NOT log back in via kdm after a crash. I
have to ssh in, kill the remants of kde and restart kdm first. I'll log all
of the apps left running on the next death. I promise! :--)

	Anyhow, I need to swap cd's on the sunbox so we can get this blasted array
online again. (sigh)  And yes, my next machine WILL be a Sun! :--)  Have a
grand day and a better weekend!!

- --
                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
      (541) 504-1388  /\IRC: 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts /\ICQ: UIN 138930