Re: Root login in graphical enviroment

Security is one aspect, but if you run as root all day every day, sooner
or later you'll do something accidentally that will do a lot of damage.
Eg, you might do rm -Rf * from the root directory (thinking you were in
/tmp).  No big drama if you do it as a user[1].  As root, your system is
hosed.

Has anyone really ever done this? Seems like a pretty dumb thing to do.. But I guess it could happen.

Alternatively, keep a root login on one of your
virtual consoles, and switch to it whenever you need to do admin stuff.

Ah! Now there's a good idea. Now what if.. nope, cant run another copy of X in a differnet virtual console. Damn. :)

Incidentally, it is more dangerous running as root on Unix than on
Windows.  With the Unix root user, anything goes.  There is nothing it
can't delete/ruin/whatever.  On the more multi-user flavours of Windows,
even the Adminstrator user can't do certain things.
Really? I didn't know that. Now that I think of it I guess thats true.. I can't kill system processes in WinXP even as admin..

In other words,
being able to run Windows as Administrator all the time without consequence doesn't follow on to running as root under Unix all the
time.

So my problem remains... Maybe I should just change my root password to something a bit shorter... 12 letters takes too long to type 50 times a day..

Leo