Re: Root login in graphical enviroment

also sprach Leo Spalteholz <leo@thewoodpecker.ca> [2002.08.01.0846 +0200]:
> Has anyone really ever done this?  Seems like a pretty dumb thing to
> do..  But I guess it could happen.

after giving up on CVSing my /etc, i once did

  `find /etc name CVS | xargs rm -r`

that's a typo. yes it was stupid. it was very effective though.

> >Alternatively, keep a root login on one of your
> >virtual consoles, and switch to it whenever you need to do admin stuff.
> >
> Ah!  Now there's a good idea.  Now what if..    nope, cant run another
> copy of X in a differnet virtual console.  Damn. :)

of course you can:

  startx -- :1

> >Incidentally, it is more dangerous running as root on Unix than on
> >Windows.  With the Unix root user, anything goes.  There is nothing it
> >can't delete/ruin/whatever.  On the more multi-user flavours of Windows,
> >even the Adminstrator user can't do certain things.
> >
> Really?  I didn't know that.  Now that I think of it I guess thats
> true..  I can't kill system processes in WinXP even as admin..

WinXP is not an operating system, and it's absolutely not multi-user.

> So my problem remains...   Maybe I should just change my root password
> to something a bit shorter...  12 letters takes too long to type 50
> times a day..

use sudo!

only through hard work and perseverance can one truly suffer.