Re: Mutt/Tin/GNUMACS v. gnus/GNUMACS

Bob Proulx wrote:

> <marshal@h9.dion.ne.jp> [2002-08-01 11:42:47 +0900]:
> >
> >     Paul> (Your indentation is a little bit strange...)
> >
> > eh?  How so?  I'm using superquote, or whatever it is in emacs.  I
> > haven't adjusted the settings, so tell me what you find strange, and
> > I'll take a look at it.

IIRC, it's called SuperCite. It is not terribly uncommon, but it is
infrequently seen in my experience, and some old-time email/usenet users
regard its use as a sign of cluelessness. Back when I still bothered to
read usenet, I more than once saw flamewars break out just because
someone posted using SuperCite.

> I agree with Paul.  The quoting is not particularly bad.  But usually
> quoted text will be a set of "> " at the left edge.

Yes, though sometimes people who want to be "different" use some other
single character for quotation, such as } or | or :.

> Superquote is
> putting the persons mail name in the first part with an indention.
> That is frequently used when people are quoting several different
> people in an interspersed way as a method of identifying each.  So it
> is not an unheard of quoting style.  It is still seen frequently.  But
> the four space indention on the front shifting everything to the right
> is an odd addition.  I don't prefer it.  But not a terribly big deal
> either way.

The nastiest thing about SuperCite is that this business of putting
people's names at the left edge shoves the quoted text so far to the
right that it often needs reformatting, which, in the case of text that
is not meant to be free-flowing paragraphs, can trash the formatting.
The four-space indentation preceding the name merely adds insult to
injury.

Some people try to make SuperCite less offensive by using the previous
poster's initials instead of their name. This, however, can have really
ugly consequences, as the time on another mailing list that I saw a
Jewish man's name replaced by his initials, "SS". He did not appreciate
this in the least; I trust the reason is obvious.

Craig