pdf attachments in mutt unreadable by windows

I've been trying to send pdf files as email attachments in mutt.
Whenever I send these to someone using windows, they are unable to open
the files using acrobat.  One of them just sent the pdf file back to me,
and I am also now unable to open it.  That makes me suspect that the problem
is that something is happening to the files in email.  Does anyone know
why this happens, and is there a way to send pdf attachments to windows
users with mutt.  Thanks,

Ric