Re: Searching for Paul Johnson

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:33:38 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 05:45:09PM -0500, Gary Turner wrote:
>> I've had the same rejections.  In my case it was a multi-hop relay
>> through an ADSL customer of swbell.net.  This is a prime argument
>> against unattended bounce.  If Paul (and others using BLs) were to
>> monitor the hits they get and determine that a significant number of
>> *real spammers* were using a particular relay path, then fine--bounce
>> away.  My personal experience is that I've had only 1 or 2 come via
>> swbell in the last year.  And, they were not spoofed open relay stuff.
>> (What can we do about these chain-letter-ponzi-scheme idiots?  I really
>> hate to filter on the body.)  I have no filters targeting swbell or its
>> IP block.
>
>SWBell is the single largest ISP hosting spammers reaching me.  I took
>the RBL's down on my system for a day, and I recieved nearly 6 times
>as much spam from open proxies and relays in SWBell territory than
>from all of China, Korea and Taiwan combined.  SWBell is also totally
>unresponsive to spamming complaints.

Amazing.  Perhaps being on the system gives me some immunity :)  In any
case, I will still argue that the proper path is to route suspect email
to an inspection area rather than an arbitrary bounce.

Only narrow band filters should be used for auto dumping.  Killing
everything from pornocopia.com or betcherass.com is probably a good
plan.  Auto dumping mail.com and rediffmail.com, as high a spam rate as
they have, is not a good bet-- since every once in a while there is a
legitimate message.  It's a pretty simple matter to scan the
subject/author lines and spot the good stuff to save.  Even the Asian
domain mail should be inspected before dumping.  Every broad band filter
is too stupid to run around unsupervised.  The only excuses are laziness
or bad manners.

I agree that swbell sucks in the complaint department.  Want a laugh?
Check this:

>  Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 15:58:54 -0500
>  From: Gary Turner <kk5st@swbell.net>
>  To: abuse@yahoo.com, abuse@swbell.net
>  Subject: porn spam
>
>Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
>
>  Recipient address: postman3@sims4.rcsntx.swbell.net
>  Reason: recipient reached disk quota

BTW, Yahoo acknowledged their customer.  I sent swb a simple "WTF?"
There has been no reply.
--
gt                  kk5st@swbell.net
 If someone tells you---