Re: Searching for Paul Johnson

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:58:18 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

<snip>

>Your system rejects mail from me. I hope it reached you by way of
>154837-done@bugs.
>
>Incidentally, following the link in the mail delivery error message, the
>open relay test on tungsten.btinternet.com was performed from a host on
>BT's own ADSL network! No wonder the test mail was accepted. You might
>want to check if this blackhole list is often polluted in this way.

I've had the same rejections.  In my case it was a multi-hop relay
through an ADSL customer of swbell.net.  This is a prime argument
against unattended bounce.  If Paul (and others using BLs) were to
monitor the hits they get and determine that a significant number of
*real spammers* were using a particular relay path, then fine--bounce
away.  My personal experience is that I've had only 1 or 2 come via
swbell in the last year.  And, they were not spoofed open relay stuff.
(What can we do about these chain-letter-ponzi-scheme idiots?  I really
hate to filter on the body.)  I have no filters targeting swbell or its
IP block.

>	version=2.31

Unconfirmed (tester?) and multi hop hits should never be arbitrarily
bounced.  It is a waste of bandwidth in most cases, and usually impolite
to boot.
--
gt                  kk5st@swbell.net
 If someone tells you---