Re: Partitioning of second HD?

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 15:42, Craig Dickson wrote:
[snip]
> However, I've just bought an 80 GB disk to install as a second drive,
> and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. It will primarily be for
> storage (my Ogg Vorbis-ized CD collection, and so on), so is there any
> particular reason not to make a single 80 GB ext3 partition? Would, say,
> four 20 GB partitions be more efficient, faster to fsck, or have other
> benefits?
>
> My system currently has only 128 MB of swap, and 384 MB RAM (originally
> it has 128 MB RAM, but I upgraded it). I've never seen more than a few
> megs of swap actually in use, but even so, would there be a benefit to
> setting up an extra swap partition on the second drive? (Or perhaps
> putting swap on the second drive and removing the first drive's swap
> partition -- the new drive seems likely to be a bit faster.)

With my 60GB HDD, I did exactly what you're thinking of: made a
couple of swap partitions (didn't even cost me 1% of capacity)
and made the rest as /dev/hde1 (ext3) and mounted it as
/usr/local/data.  It's times like this, though, when I'd like
VMS-style "rooted logicals".  Oh, well...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment |
|  by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."      |
|   Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)      |