php and ImageJpeg

I am trying to create/manipulate images in php. I have cut-n-pasted
scripts from www.php.net and other sources but I can't get an image to
display in my browser.

I'm running 'testing' and everything I've checked (apache, php, libs)
seems to be ok. The only clue I have is that the filesize shown in the
apache log is much too small but shows a 200 status. Shouldn't I be able
to ImageCreateFromJpeg() and then ImageJpeg() to display an unmodified
image?

What could I be doing wrong or have wrong on my system?

--
"It is not enough to succeed.  Others must fail."
		-- Gore Vidal