RE: how to purge a src package?

> (Wait! That's not my question. Read on.)
>
> I  then  did  a  manual  "make  install"  in  order  to  try  out  the
> binaries.  This  leaves  Debian  thinking  the xawtv  package  is  not
> installed, where in fact it is brokenly half-installed.
>
> My question is, how can I purge it?

you can try 'make uninstall' it may work.  Otherwise you need to remove each
file it installed by hand.  This is why we all moved to packages over make
install.

> (If your  answer is of  the form "serves  you right for doing  stuff by
> hand", feel free to explain how I would purge the source assuming I
> *hadn't* done a "make install".)
>
> The  other thing is,  this command  appears to  have dumped  the xawtv
> source in  /usr/xawtv-3.72, as  opposed to something  reasonable like,
> say, /usr/src/xawtv-3.72.  It  didn't even tell me it  was putting the
> source there. Is any of this customizable?

apt-get source downloads the source into the directory you are in at that
moment.  So if you were in /usr as root it sure enough placed them in /usr.
Shame on you for logging in as root (-: