Re: Debian 3.0r0 wont 'powerdown'

Debian 3.0.r0 responds to: uname -r with 2.2.20-idepci.

powerdown goes thru all the steps, but fails to drop power.  I have no idea
how to correct this problem.  I don't think its limited to my machine, I
have tried it now on an Intel 810 based machine and also on an earlier ASUS
P4.  These, as well as my current Intel 815 machine, fail to power down.
They power down with Win9X however.

Apparently its possible to select a 2.4 series kernel with Debian 3.0, but I
have not yet tried that.

Its been suggested that I need to recompile the kernel with some different
options, this more than I have time to look into right now.  It does
surprise me that powerdown would not be the typical configuration.

Ron