how to purge a src package?

Folks

I   did  an   "apt-get   -b   source  xawtv"   last   night  (as   per
http://bytesex.org/debian) and the build did not complete:

dh_movefiles
dh_movefiles: debian/tmp/usr/bin/ttv not found (supposed to put it in ttv)
find: usr/bin/ttv: No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1
Build command 'cd xawtv-3.72 && dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc' failed.
E: Child process failed

(Wait! That's not my question. Read on.)

I  then  did  a  manual  "make  install"  in  order  to  try  out  the
binaries.  This  leaves  Debian  thinking  the xawtv  package  is  not
installed, where in fact it is brokenly half-installed.

My question is, how can I purge it?

(If your  answer is of  the form "serves  you right for doing  stuff by
hand", feel free to explain how I would purge the source assuming I
*hadn't* done a "make install".)

The  other thing is,  this command  appears to  have dumped  the xawtv
source in  /usr/xawtv-3.72, as  opposed to something  reasonable like,
say, /usr/src/xawtv-3.72.  It  didn't even tell me it  was putting the
source there. Is any of this customizable?

-chris