Re: dvorak keyboard

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 10:48, Mike Brownlow wrote:
> > Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> [snip]
> > during the day (for fun only...not sure it's actually worth it). It took
> > me about a month to really get used to it including the aspects of
> > coding/sysadmin. (i.e...typing involving non-alpha's that had moved
> > around) But the switch happened pretty fast. About 1-2 days of practice
>
> Silly question: do you use vi?  It seems like the "hjkl" key
> pattern is tied to qwerty.

Ahh, yes there are serious considerations associated with keymappings. I
do use vi (vim actually). But I have rarely ever used hjkl, except in
those rare cases where there wasn't a way to use arrow keys and jk
(which are, incidently, still next to each other on dvorak). So yes,
that is a very good point. Those who rely on hjkl would have to optimize
to a new layout. That would take some time (and in this case may not be
as optimal). Emacs has its share of drawbacks in this respect as well.
Ctrl-x-s needs two hands for instance. I've pretty much gotten used to
the Emacs/vi changes now and can work either way without trouble. But
that is a good point about keymappings.

--
Mike Brownlow      - http://www.wsmake.org/~mike/
AI Lab             - http://ailab.uta.edu/