Re: Floppy time...

> www.aurema.com
On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 12:43:24PM -0500, Flood, Richard wrote:
> I am in the process of installing Debian on a laptop using only floppy
> disks.  I went ahead and installed the base system with floppies and then
> realized that these floppy images expected me to have a CD-ROM or something
> to install from dpkg.  Any guidance on where I can find the other floppy
> images for the distribution?  I realize I will probably have to buy
> floppies, but I can't really buy a CD-ROM for this laptop at this time.
>
> I downloaded some .deb files to my Win98 desktop thinking I might be able to
> rawrite them onto floppies and at least get gcc and make on the laptop, but
> I cannot read them into the Linux system from floppy.
>
> Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming floppies are your only option (no NIC?), then there is a
(tedious) way of proceeding.  Firstly, install cygwin on your win98 box
if you haven't already (do a search on redhat site to find it).  This
gives you access to lots of Unix goodies.

Then, use split (man split under cygwin) to split the debs into floppy
sized chunks (using -b switch).  Copy the debs onto the floppy(ies),
and then to the laptop.  Once all the bits are on the laptop, simply cat
them together to reassemble.

eg if the files are xa and xb

cat xa xb > example.deb

Then dpkg -i away.

- Chris

PS: If you don't want to install all of cygwin just so you can split,
there might be some win utility out there that does the same thing.  But
having access to Unix commands under Windows makes it that much more
tolerable, IMHO