Re: LDAP and ssl

Hui> Dear all, I want to ask if I want to use OpenLDAP and SSL/StartTLS,
Hui> what should I do besides downloading the deb source packages and
Hui> modifying the switches and make the packages again? I ask this
Hui> because when I run apt-get upgrade, it asks me whether I want to
Hui> upgrade those ldap packages even though the version number is the
Hui> same but I know that I don't want as the packages I compiled myself
Hui> support SSL/StartTLS (slapd,libldap2, ldap-utils, libpam-ldap,
Hui> libnss-ldap and libldap2-dev) while the stock one does not. I don't
Hui> want to handle this everytime I run apt-get upgrade, so what should
Hui> I do? Or I had missed something when I compile my own packages from
Hui> source?

AFAICT, apt uses some sort of checksum to ensure that the package
installed matches the one from apt.  To get around this, you can bump
up the version of the package you build, so that it looks newer to apt.
Edit debian/changelog and add a new entry, with a slightly higher
version number (e.g. add ".0" at the end).  Make sure that you follow
the same entry format (especially pay attention to the number of spaces
in various places), or else you'll have problems rebuilding.  Rebuild
and reinstall.

(Of course, this only works until a new package gets uploaded to the apt
repository.  You could use epochs (is that the right name?) to get
around this, but I'm not sure exactly how, as I've never done it
myself.  Maybe it's just putting a "1:" in front of the version number
in debian/changelog.)

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA