Re: Floppy time...

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 12:43:24PM -0500, Flood, Richard wrote:
> I am in the process of installing Debian on a laptop using only floppy
> disks.  I went ahead and installed the base system with floppies and then
> realized that these floppy images expected me to have a CD-ROM or something
> to install from dpkg.  Any guidance on where I can find the other floppy
> images for the distribution?  I realize I will probably have to buy
> floppies, but I can't really buy a CD-ROM for this laptop at this time.

It can be done without CD drives. The base system really is small, but
it allows for more to be installed.

> I downloaded some .deb files to my Win98 desktop thinking I might be able to
> rawrite them onto floppies and at least get gcc and make on the laptop, but
> I cannot read them into the Linux system from floppy.
>
> Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

The base system was meant to be small, and some packages are large. You
don't rawrite .debs onto floppies, you copy them. What I used to do,
before I could connect this system to the network, was that I had a
small FAT16 partition at the beginning of the drive, and use pkzip on
the windoze machine to split large (> 1.6 meg) archives (by spanning
floppies), and boot this system with a boot disk containing pkzip, then
"decompressing" (the contents of the debs is already compressed) to join
the little file bits together. Of course, I just copied the smaller
debs.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com