Re: virii

* Richard Cobbe <cobbe@airmail.net>:

>  So, yeah, Perl is pretty successful.  This is due more, IMO, to market
>  forces than to technical superiority.  And I can cite you any number of
>  examples, like the one above, where the two don't produce the same results.

Sure.  I'm just saying the definition of "technical superiority" is
somewhat arbitrary -- e.g. better orthogonality is usually considered
a sign of technical superiority, yet runs-well-on-every-platform
isn't.  And yet, for getting stuff done, orthogonality is far less
important.

I guess I'm saying I advocate a more wholistic and utilitarian
definition of technical superiority.

--
Thatcher Ulrich
http://tulrich.com