Re: virii

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 12:06, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > Tom Massey wrote:
> >
> > > Remember that Larry Wall tends
> > > to see himself as a linguist before anything else - that's
> > > actually all you need to know to understand Perl.
> >
> > Interestingly, he has never published any papers in any professional
> > linguistics journal, seems never to have taught the subjet at any
>
> Do I detect a bit of snobbery here?

No. The point is just that Wall's occasional references to the
linguistic basis for Perl's design are basically BS. He may have a
bachelor's degree in linguistics, but he isn't a linguist, and according
to my friend at Stanford, most of what he says about linguistics in
connection with Perl (or programming language design in general) is
wrong.

Craig