Re: tenative ITP linux-wlan-ng; soliciting advice

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 07:31:50PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
>Peter Hicks wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 03:33:34PM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
>> >I'm about to buy one of those cards as well, so any work you do would
>> >be great :) Even if you can't get it to play 100% nice it would still
>> >be nice to have it in Debian.
>> >

>> The linux-wlan drivers work so much better than the kernel drivers. It
>> would be great if they were debianized!
>
>Which kernel drivers are these that I could use instead of doing all
>this work? Please do tell. :-)

well, I would hate to dissuade you from packaging the linux-wlan
drivers, but I have no trouble using prism2, orinoco, or cisco aironet
cards with the stock debian 2.4.18 kernel. Both my lucent card and my
smc 2632 use the hermes/orinoco_cs drivers. I tested a cisco card last
monday and it worked fine, but I don't have it around to check which
drivers it used.

But, like I said, I have much better performance from the linux-wlan
drivers, and the promiscious mode let's you monitor the 802.11b
frames, which you can't do with the hermes drivers.

--
Peter Hicks
peter@libation.com