RE: gphoto2 and Olympus D-490

>Does anyone here have a hint how to get photos off this camera?

I was playing with this last night till like 2am with my Kodak DC240 (has
anyone got this working?  Mine reads about 1 1/2 images and then hangs,
flooding the syslog with what seem to be timeout errors).

No specific hints, but make sure you apt-get install gphoto2-doc then go
through the html manual in /usr/share/doc/gphoto2-doc.  Make sure you've
followed all the instructions and have the usbdevfs working, hotplug if you
want it, etc etc.  Don't confuse usbdevfs and devfs -- building a kernel
with devfs without apt-get installing devfsd results in some considerable
effort to fix it.

gphoto2 uses user-space drivers, so if your kernel is loading a module for
it that may not be the right thing.

>inserted into a fish-shaped "USB SmartMedia Reader-Writer".

Hopefully you can mount this as USB mass storage and then just access like
any other drive.  That is by far the easiest way to do things.  This may
help :

 http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/book1.html

Good luck ...

-i
ianw@ieee.org
http://www.wienand.org
CAUTION: This message may contain confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any use or disclosure of this message is prohibited.  If you received this message in error please notify Mail Administrators immediately.  You must obtain all necessary intellectual property clearances before doing anything other than displaying this message on your monitor.  There is no intellectual property licence.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Woolworths Ltd.