mailman problem

Hello,

I've been trying to get mailman setup on a Debian 3.0 system for the
past couple days, using the standard package, with no luck. I've got
the scripts on the web, no problem; I can create lists and access/use
the admin pages after some initial mess with file permissions, but now
i'm having a trouble with what I'm guessing is a setgid script.

Everytime I try to actually subscribe to a list, it fails. It gets
so far as sending a confirmation email, I reply, and mailman has it
listed as a pending subscription in the queue, but i then get the
cron error message posted below. Running the wrapper script directly,
I get an error regarding GIDs; the gid it lists below is the primary
gid of the owner of the "test" list, but the mailman owner is not a
member of that group.

I've seen suggestions on the web to just recompile the whole thing,
but I'd rather use the standard debian package, so I'm hoping someone
might have a suggestion as to what's going wrong.....

This is a basically vanilla debian system that has been up for under
a week; I've made no major changes to the system so far.

Thanks!

--Frederick Heckel

root@:/usr/lib/mailman/mail# ./wrapper mailcmd test
Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 1, GOT gid 1002.  (Reconfigure to
take 1004?)

----- Forwarded message from Cron Daemon <root@> -----