OT: Flamebait: Text vs HTML email

This is not meant to cause Holy Wars or dissent. It's just that I believe that it's healthy to every once in a while question the status quo, to question authority, to ask why things are done they way they are done. And after getting an informative email from a colleague in HTML format, this issue came up in my thinking, which set me to questioning.

As a general rule, members of this list prefer email to be in plain text format. Over the years I've tried to adhere to that (and will continue to do so). However, I'm thinking that perhaps it's time to rethink that "rule". A more graphical format like HTML can convey more information (charts, images, textual structure, color, font, etc) than just plain text.

Advantages of text only:
--------------------------------
Text takes less bandwidth than HTML.

Text is readable on any system; HTML may not be (ie. mutt, etc).

Text is more easily manipulated with text tools, such as sed.

Non-text may have "issues" in international settings.

other?

There are indeed good reasons for using plain text. However, email is for conveying information, and it seems to me that more info can be conveyed with HTML than with text. Bandwidth issues and filesize issues are less of an issue today than five years ago (realizing that some parts of the world still live in 1200baud-and-pay-by-the-minute Land). Text-manipulation may be a bit more difficult with HTML, but surely that's solvable.

To me, the most significant compelling reason to stick to plain text for email is for those text-only email readers.

Can text-only mail readers (ie mutt) be designed to read HTML messages? After all, lynx is a "text-only" app that can deal with HTML; why can't mutt, etc? If so, then why not use HTML? If not, does the "cost" of abandoning text-only readers outweigh the cost of reduced information flow, or is the opposite true (or perhaps it's a tie)?

Just questioning; hoping to gain some insight.

Thanks!

Kent