Re: OT: Flamebait: Text vs HTML email

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 01:18 pm, Kent West wrote:
> This is not meant to cause Holy Wars or dissent. It's just that I
> believe that it's healthy to every once in a while question the status
> quo, to question authority, to ask why things are done they way they are
> done. And after getting an informative email from a colleague in HTML
> format, this issue came up in my thinking, which set me to questioning.

[snip]

the one phrase that came to mind when i read your post was 'if it ain't
broke, don't fix it.'

i agree with colin's point that text-only tends to enforce a brevity that
cuts to the issue at hand. as well as that, i really don't want to have to
suffer through a poster's enhanced artistic rendition of a problem's
description. i've seen some really elaborate ascii-art descriptions that
sufficiently described often complex network configurations and modifications
made in reply, in the same form, that offered solutions that were understood
by all concerned.

the bottom line is that, for this forum, anything other than plain text is
redundant and useless, and the abolition of these factors is a key part of
why i use debian, to begin with.

ben