Re: ps no longer works

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:20:51 -0100
andrej hocevar <ah@siol.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 11:09:15AM -0600, Stefan Srdic wrote:
> >
> > I always get this error:
> >
> > stef@NodeFilter:~$ ps
> >

> > Signal 7 caught by ps (procps version 2.0.7).
> > Please send bug reports to <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
>
> If you've checked that address, you'll see it was me complaining
> about the very same problem. Yet that suggestion didn't solve
> anything: I let that test run for some time (not until the end,
> though) without any errors. I've even posted to the above address,
> and I got this reply:
> _______________________________________
> Please try this:
>
> 1. boot the offending kernel
> 2. verify that you still have the bug
> 3. modify your system.map file's size (add characters to a name)
> 4. see if the bug goes away
> ______________________________________
> No idea what that means! The "offending" kernel was 2.4.18, then I
> switched to 2.4.17 for other reasons and the problem went away.
>
> andrej
>
> --
> echo ${girl_name} > /etc/dumpdates

Thanks, I added a space to the very last line of the file. Saved and tried ps once again. Everything seems to work fine now, only now I get another error message complaining about system.map:

stef@NodeFilter:~$ ps
Warning: /boot/System.map-2.4.17 not parseable as a System.map
Warning: /System.map not parseable as a System.map
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 1165 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
 1166 pts/0    00:00:00 ps
stef@NodeFilter:~$

I think that I can live with that.

However, I did run memtest86, and it did reveal two faulty memory addresses during test 6. I'm considering patching my kernel, but I'm just curious of how reliable this test is. This problem only occured after I compiled a new kernel.

Stef