Re: ps no longer works

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 11:09:15AM -0600, Stefan Srdic wrote:

> I always get this error:
>
> stef@NodeFilter:~$ ps
>

> Signal 7 caught by ps (procps version 2.0.7).
> Please send bug reports to <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>

If you've checked that address, you'll see it was me complaining
about the very same problem. Yet that suggestion didn't solve
anything: I let that test run for some time (not until the end,
though) without any errors. I've even posted to the above address,
and I got this reply:
_______________________________________
Please try this:

1. boot the offending kernel
2. verify that you still have the bug
3. modify your system.map file's size (add characters to a name)
4. see if the bug goes away
No idea what that means! The "offending" kernel was 2.4.18, then I
switched to 2.4.17 for other reasons and the problem went away.

andrej

--
echo ${girl_name} > /etc/dumpdates