Re: [CLUE-Tech] GeForce4 Ti4200 and Linux / debian?

I've got a Geforce4 440MX under Debian Woody.  The standard nv drivers
(that came with linux) didn't work, and I had no X (although my GF2 worked
well).  I downloaded, compiled, and installed the ones from nvidia
(http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux).  Now I have X, but I pretty
much have no console.  Any attempts to go outside X (i.e. the terminals ,
like Alt-F1, etc) causes my system to display no video. My monitor
(Hitachi) will report a 69 Hz refresh rate. I can still SSH in, but any
attempts to do anything locally dies.

So, you can get X, but you really can't do much else, if you don't always
use X (like me).  As well, rebooting causes problems (i guess it doesn't
unmount / correctly, and will fsck every time). But at least you'll have
drivers.

Hope this helps.

Adam

--