Re: [CLUE-Tech] GeForce4 Ti4200 and Linux / debian?

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 02:35:01PM -0400, Adam Bultman wrote:
> I've got a Geforce4 440MX under Debian Woody.

Me, too.  Nice card, and relatively cheap.  Mine has this odd-ball fan on
it that I'm going to replace one of these days.

> The standard nv drivers (that came with linux) didn't work, and I had no
> X (although my GF2 worked well).

Sounds familiar... I run my box wth a GF2 PCI next to the GF4 for
multi-head.  It's a documented fact that the open-source driver doesn't
know what any of the GF4 chipsets are.

> I downloaded, compiled, and installed the ones from nvidia
> (http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux).

You didn't just use the debs?  They'd have downloaded it for you, and done
the diversions on the packaged libraries too so that you could undo it if
you wanted to.

> Now I have X, but I pretty much have no console.  Any attempts to go
> outside X (i.e. the terminals , like Alt-F1, etc) causes my system to
> display no video. My monitor (Hitachi) will report a 69 Hz refresh rate.
> I can still SSH in, but any attempts to do anything locally dies.

Now, here's where you and I differ.  I can switch back and forth to my
heart's content with no trouble at all (save, of course, that I can't also
have a working console on the GF2 at the same time... ah, well).

Does your kernel even provide for a console?  Or just X?

> So, you can get X, but you really can't do much else, if you don't always
> use X (like me).

What happens if you don't start X?  Can you still interact with the box?

> As well, rebooting causes problems (i guess it doesn't unmount /
> correctly, and will fsck every time). But at least you'll have drivers.

This is no doubt due to the fact that you don't have a working console.
Once X shuts down, output has nowhere to go, and it probably stalls.

--
Marc Wilson
msw@cox.net