Re: GeForce4 Ti4200 and Linux / debian?

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 18:37, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Thanks.  Will this work if (using the debian-packaged kernel-
> source-2.4.18) I make build my kernel using the non-Debian
> way:
> make clean
> make [old|menu|x]config
> make dep
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.xx
> cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.xx

Why bother. Just follow the directions in the file

    /usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.18/debian.README.gz

and you build a kernel using the make-kpkg invocations outlined in that
file. It is even possible to append some text after the generic version
number to allow for multiple installments of the same kernel with
different compile options.

The advantage is that other invocations to make-kpkg to build modules
and stuff, will use the revision set by the kernel compilation, thus
creating a uniform naming scheme for all kernel related packages.

> I'm wondering if there might be a slight directory naming
> problem between the generic /lib/modules/2.4.18 and any
> variant /lib/modules/2.4.18-? added by make-kpkg.

See the above file for information on this.

--
| | _ _| | |_                                              Kees de Bruin
| |/ / _ | _ \                                  e-mail: kees@kdbruin.net
|_|\_\___|___/               "Read the manual -- what a radical concept"