Re: video won't stream, add performance issues...

On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 07:25, martin f krafft wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> i've never had much of a need for multimedia and video -- as long as
> my MP3s or OGGs played when i wanted them, that was about as much
> multimedia as i ever cared for.
>
> these days, however, i am starting to need the ability to view mpeg
> video files of robotics experiments. i have all these .mpeg files
> sitting on my server, each more than 100Mb in size. right now i am
> scp'ing them over before viewing them, which is *a real drag*.
> i somehow can't stream the MPEG video over HTTP - what I would like to
> do. i am using xine as a player, but would go with anything else you
> might suggest. how can i stream MPEG files from an HTTP server?

If the video player can read from standard in (I don't know about Xine,
but mplayer can), you can use a FIFO to create Ad-Hoc HTTP streaming.

1. Make a FIFO

mkfifo pipe.mpeg

2. In one shell stream the contents into the fifo. It should block

wget -O - http://location/of/movie.mpeg > pipe.mpeg

3. In another shell, launch the movie player and select the pipe.mpeg as
the file. A FIFO does not support seeking, so "playing the file" may
well fail. (you also will not be able to fast forward or rewind (hell
its streaming!!))

cat pipe.mpeg | mplayer -fs -

Of course *all* of this is irrelevant with mplayer. With mplayer just
go...

mplayer -fs http://location/of/movie.mpeg

Ah mplayer. Eases the pain.

Kind Regards