Re: video won't stream, add performance issues...

<quote who="martin f krafft">
> hi folks,

> i somehow can't stream the MPEG video over HTTP - what I would like to
> do. i am using xine as a player, but would go with anything else you
> might suggest. how can i stream MPEG files from an HTTP server?

Mpegtv can(mpegtv.com). it's not free. but its not expensive. i've
been using it off and on for years. runs on tons of OSs. was the
first(that im aware of) vcd player for linux..i used to watch vcds
using it back in 98-99 i think. quite solid. but it doesn't take
advantage of video acceleration like xine does ..so expect lots of
dropped frames at high res with big full motion video. I have not
used this feature of mpegtv, so i don't know how well it works.

> also, on a related note, i am writing this from a PIII 1.2 GHz Laptop
> with 1Gb of RAM (Dell Latitude C610), running XF 4.1 on Woody. It has a
> ATI Radeon chip, which isn't supported by XF 4.1, so I use the vesa
> driver, which works perfectly well. However, even with a system load of
> 0.00-0.10, this laptop fails to scale 320x240 videos to fullscreen
> (1400x1050) smoothly -- the fullscreen video is very jumpy and the
> sound's desynchronized. and even in 320x240 window mode, it's jumpy. i
> really think i have a system performant enough, now how do
> i increase debian's multimedia performance?

i think you need a newer driver(if there is one), this depends
heavily on the Xvideo support of the driver(if yours has any). example
would be my Athlon with NVidia Geforce2 MX can scale MPEG-1 and DiVX
to full 1600x1200 with less then 2% cpu utilization. on a Matrox
G450, i can barely hold 640x480 without dropped frames and high
cpu utilization(also its a P3-800, but i think its still much faster
then 2% of my Athlon). Both are 2.2 kernels. i think if i were to
upgrade to 2.4 and use the matrox DRI drivers performance would
dramatically improve ..but i'm not going to do that. Nvidia has
excellent performance on 2.2 kernels(what i use on all my systems
except my suse test machines)

also depends on the app, if it can take advantage of xvideo or
not. Xine can, avifile can ..those are the only ones that i've
tried. mpegtv as noted above cannot(in my experience).

nate