Re: video won't stream, add performance issues...

martin f krafft wrote:
hi folks,

i've never had much of a need for multimedia and video -- as long as
my MP3s or OGGs played when i wanted them, that was about as much
multimedia as i ever cared for.

these days, however, i am starting to need the ability to view mpeg
video files of robotics experiments. i have all these .mpeg files
sitting on my server, each more than 100Mb in size. right now i am
scp'ing them over before viewing them, which is *a real drag*.
i somehow can't stream the MPEG video over HTTP - what I would like to
do. i am using xine as a player, but would go with anything else you
might suggest. how can i stream MPEG files from an HTTP server?

Have you tried 'ssh <server> "cat file" | xine stdin://mpeg1' or 'wget -O - <url> | xine stdin://mpeg1'. You can also try xine stdin://mpeg2 if that doesn't work...