video won't stream, add performance issues...

hi folks,

i've never had much of a need for multimedia and video -- as long as
my MP3s or OGGs played when i wanted them, that was about as much
multimedia as i ever cared for.

these days, however, i am starting to need the ability to view mpeg
video files of robotics experiments. i have all these .mpeg files
sitting on my server, each more than 100Mb in size. right now i am
scp'ing them over before viewing them, which is *a real drag*.
i somehow can't stream the MPEG video over HTTP - what I would like to
do. i am using xine as a player, but would go with anything else you
might suggest. how can i stream MPEG files from an HTTP server?

also, on a related note, i am writing this from a PIII 1.2 GHz Laptop
with 1Gb of RAM (Dell Latitude C610), running XF 4.1 on Woody. It has
a ATI Radeon chip, which isn't supported by XF 4.1, so I use the vesa
driver, which works perfectly well. However, even with a system load
of 0.00-0.10, this laptop fails to scale 320x240 videos to fullscreen
(1400x1050) smoothly -- the fullscreen video is very jumpy and the
sound's desynchronized. and even in 320x240 window mode, it's jumpy.
i really think i have a system performant enough, now how do
i increase debian's multimedia performance?

no micro$oft components were used
in the creation or posting of this email.
therefore, it is 100% virus free
and does not use html by default (yuck!).