Re: more wireless nic stuff...

Cameron Matheson wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I've taken the PCMCIA support out of my kernel
now, and compiled pcmcia-cs and wlan-ng.  Unfortunately, it hasn't
solved my problems completely.  Here's the output at boot time (from the
/etc/init.d/pcmcia script):

Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.34
  kernel build: 2.4.18 #3 Wed Jul 17 22:53:38 MDT 2002
Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:13.0
  Ricoh RL5C475 rev 80 PCI-to-CardBus at slot 00:13, mem 0xe4002000
    host opts [0]: [isa irq] [io 3/6/1] [mem 3/6/1] [pci irq 5] [lat 32/176] [bu
s 2/5]
    ISA irqs (default) = 3,4,7,15 PCI status changes
cs: warning: no high memory space available!
cs: unable to map card memory!
cs: unable to map card memory!

Not sure what those memory errors mean... any ideas?  Also, i tried
modprobing prism2-cs (that is the wlan-ng module?), and that gave me
this:

memory_cs: RequestWindow: Resource in use
init_module: prism2_cs.o: 0.1.14 Loaded

I still can't ifconfig wlan0 so I'm kind of at a loss, any help would be
appreciated

Some thoughts...

Look at the PCMCIA-HOWTO under "3.5 Memory probe failures". Essentially it says to experiment with other memory window ranges in the /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file.

Someone on the linux kernel mailing list had the exact problem you describe. He had success by removing pcmcia-cs with dpkg --remove and --purge and then reinstalling. When I was getting pcmcia working on my laptop, I often found that reinstalling pcmcia-cs helped, including wiping out /etc/pcmcia first.

What does "cardctl ident" produce?

--
Brian J. Stults
Department of Sociology