Re: more wireless nic stuff...

Cameron Matheson wrote:
Hi,
So i think i'm making some progress w/ my d-link dwl500 card, but still
not quite there.  I've compiled Cardbus support into my kernel, and also
the wavelan_cs.o module (everything on google says i should be using
wvlan_cs.o, but i can't find that so i was assuming that it might be for
older (2.2) kernels?  I don't get any kind of messages at all after
modprobing wavelan_cs (it doesn't get automatically loaded... so i'm not
sure if that's a bad sign or not).  I'm assuming for now that the
hardware might work, but i need a wvlan0 device which i do not have (and
grepping the MAKEDEV script didn't come up w/ anything either).  Does
anyone know where i could find the major/minor #'s for that?

To get my DWL-650 to work, I compiled the pcmcia-cs[1] source and the driver from linux-wlan-ng[2]. You'll also need to apt-get install pcmcia-cs and wireless-tools. After compiling these two things, the driver loaded at boot and I had wlan0. The kernel modules didn't work for me. The module loaded fine, but nothing else would happen. The documentation in both tarballs below was very useful for me.

[1] http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pcmcia-cs/pcmcia-cs-3.1.34.tar.gz

[2] http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/
ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/linux-wlan-ng-0.1.14.tar.gz

--

Brian J. Stults
Department of Sociology