Matshita CR-563 driver (sbpcd?)

Hello,

I have (mostly) successfully installed the 2.2r6 release of Debian (potato) from the official binary CDs on a Packard Bell with a Matshita CR-563 CD-ROM drive. I have used the sbpcd driver, letting it autoprobe (and also trying specifying "0x230,1" and "sbpcd=0x230,1" in turn). The installation then succesfully loads the base system from the first Debian CD, and the initial restart and setup goes well, until I try to install packages. At that point, it says that there is a CD in the drive, and sometimes even reads its title, but then says "Bad CD," and that although I have a CD its not a Debian CD.

A suspicious thing that I noticed going by in the startup screen, however, is a line saying:

sbpcd-0 [03]: Drive 0 (ID=0): CR-563 (0.81) at 0x340 (type 0)

which all seems correct except for the 0x340 (type 0), which doesn't change for any of the things I've tried giving the driver installation at the command line prompt.

My questions then, are: is sbpcd definitely the right driver, and what should I be giving it (if it is) at the command prompt - if that's the problem?

-Mark Fickett