Re: Which motherboard is recomended for AMD 2000 XP

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 14:17, Daniel Freedman wrote:

> Hi Roberto,
>
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002, Armenteros Roberto wrote:
> > I would like to know which motherboard is known to be
> > good for the AMD 1800/2000 chips. I will be making a
>
> Depends what you want to do with it.  For my needs (computational physics),
> I like Tyan's S2466N-4M dual board (great deal at ~$200 IMHO), but YMMV...
>
> I've also enjoyed the ECS K7S5A for really unimportant/cheap machines.
> There are (unsubstantiated???) reports about a hardware bug based either on
> this board or its Sis 735 chipsets, but then again, there have, at least
> historically, been lots of documented bugs with Via Athlon chipsets (mainly
> with UDMA disk access).

I've heard the rumors about both of these problems, but I've
got an ASUS A7V133-C (uses the Via KT133A chipset) with Athlon-C
1GHz (and drives plugged into an ATA/100 socket) and K7S5A with
Athlon 1600+ and both have run smoothly in a pretty warm environment.

> > purchase soon, so I want to have some insights from
> > you guys. Thanks a lot...
> >
> > Roberto.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment |
|  by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."      |
|   Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)      |