Cannot get TeX -> PDF with outline fonts to work

I'm trying to make a TeX document into a PDF document, using outline
(scalable) fonts instead of the default (terribly looking) bitmap fonts.

I have searched the web for information on how to do it, and for modern
Latex installations it seems to be this simple operation

'latex myfile.tex' a couple of times to get the dvi, then:

dvips -Ppdf myfile.dvi

ps2pdf myfile.ps

The fake printer pdf (for dvips) is supposed to put in outline fonts
instead of bitmapped, according to the resources I have found on the
web. This does not seem to be the case in Debian. I have tried both
stable and unstable distribution, and the same problem occurs:

bash-2.05a$ dvips -Ppdf myfile.dvi
This is dvips(k) 5.86e Copyright 2001 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2002.07.17:0016' -> myfile.ps
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 8000 --mag 1+0/8000
--dpi 8000
ecrm2488
mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 8000; ignoring mode.
mktexpk: Can't guess mode for 8000 dpi devices.
mktexpk: Use a config file, or update me.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
dvips: Font ecrm2488 at 8000 not found; scaling 600 instead.
dvips: Such scaling will generate extremely poor output.
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 8000 --mag 1+0/8000
--dpi 8000
ecti1728
mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 8000; ignoring mode

and so on

I get a postscript file, but that has bitmap fonts in it, thus the
resulting pdf file from ps2pdf looks terrible, and renders slowly.

It seems like all components needed to be able to include outline fonts
instead of bitmap fonts are included in the Debian tetex packages, but
I simply cannot get it to work.

Can someone help me out?

/Anders Torger