Re: Cannot get TeX -> PDF with outline fonts to work

Yup by default the PDFs look terrible especially on screen (usually print fine
though).
I use LyX at the moment and I have fixed it for stuff LyX produces. The
following references might help you with command line TeX to PDF conversions
too as the backends are essentially the same.

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/csg/faqs/latex.html
http://www.lyx.org/help/pdf/pdf.php3
http://www-hep.colorado.edu/~fperez/lyxport/lyxport.html#pdf%20generation
http://www.gvu.gatech.edu/ccg/resources/latex2pdf.html