Re: [DEB-USER] Re: At peace with Debian (was: This is the last war...)

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 10:07:32 -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:

>On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 08:35, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> Due to the cultural debasement brought upon by TV and feminism, "Miz"
>> is slowly disappearing.

Of course Ms is pronounced "miz." <--I really don't like the US
punctuation/quotes rules.--> Ron, it's not just the lessening use of
"Miz," there seems to be a deprecation of the use of all honorifics.

>I don't quite recall the exact beginnings of this thread, but I'm
>assuming that "Miz" = Ms?

Almost.  "Miz," which is strictly oral, long predates the written "Ms,"
which was invented circa 1970.

>When I was learning English back when I first moved to the US (1988) I
>was always taught the following:
>
>Miss - Younger female, unmarried

=unmarried, spinster -- analogous to "Master" as used with the given
names of girls and boys eg., Miss Jane and Master Dick

>Mrs  - Female of any age, married

=married, including widowed and in some areas, divorced

>Ms   - (Usually) older female, widowed/divorced/unmarried

=all women regardless of age or marital status, roughly analogous to Mr.

--
gt
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---