Re: Troublesome install of X

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 05:36:38PM +1200, Brian Swale wrote:
> Hello,
> Yesterday, having got Bill McCarty's book and read much of it, I ran Xconfig.
> Having installed that, I closed the system down properly.

hmmm, not sure why you restarted your computer but i guess it couldn't
have hurt anything... (you never have to restart linux unless you're
updating your kernel)

> Later, I started Debian again, and the boot process took me right into the X
> screen, with the user prompt and ID request on the X screen. I entered those.

sounds like [gkx]dm

> The machine promptly froze. None of the logout / kill commands worked, and
> after 10 minutes I just turned off the power.

> Startup later worked OK, Debian fixed broken files as far as I can tell, but
> again, the system took me right into the X screen, and the previous events
> were repeated.

if you don't want it to start up, just type 'mv
/etc/init.d/xdm /etc/init.d/xdm.old' (xdm may be gdm, or kdm as i said
earlier... also that is kind of an ugly way to do it, i believe their is
a way of using rc-update or something but i don't know for sure...

> It seems to me that the only way out of this is to do a re-format and re-
> install. And to be on the safe side, I should back up all of my valuable
> Windows work on the other half of the machine.

You wouldn't need to back up your windoze stuff, and you definitely
don't need to re-format and re-install

> Are these correct conclusions?

well...

> If I re-install Debian, then run Xconfig, how can I prevent the same mishap
> taking place again (X starting without being deliberately commanded by me)?

if you don't want X to start up w/ a login screen, don't install xdm,
gdm, or kdm.  if you don't want them installed right now, use the
command 'apt-get remove xdm'.  Also, while in X, you can get back to
your tty by typing ctrl+alt+f[1-6].

Good luck,
Cam