Troublesome install of X

Hello,

I have had Debian on my dual-boot machine for about 3 years but have not
really been able to get it to do anything other than run MC.

Yesterday, having got Bill McCarty's book and read much of it, I ran Xconfig.
Having installed that, I closed the system down properly.

Later, I started Debian again, and the boot process took me right into the X
screen, with the user prompt and ID request on the X screen. I entered those.

The machine promptly froze. None of the logout / kill commands worked, and
after 10 minutes I just turned off the power.

Startup later worked OK, Debian fixed broken files as far as I can tell, but
again, the system took me right into the X screen, and the previous events
were repeated.

It seems to me that the only way out of this is to do a re-format and re-
install. And to be on the safe side, I should back up all of my valuable
Windows work on the other half of the machine.

Are these correct conclusions?

If I re-install Debian, then run Xconfig, how can I prevent the same mishap
taking place again (X starting without being deliberately commanded by me)?

Brian Swale