Re: Mozilla: Home page keeps resetting to default.

arthur_dent wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 12:52, Donald R. Spoon wrote:
>
>> arthur_dent <arthur_dent@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> I recently downloaded from the Debian site via a link
>>> from the mozilla site, Mozilla Version 1.0.0. It
>>> works O.K. but whenever I close the program my Home
>>> page keeps defaulting back to whatever has been set
>>> by Debian when packaging Mozilla.
>>>
>>> Can anyone please tell me where to find how to make
>>> it keep the setting I set as my home page. Thanks
>>
>> Essentially the same as in Netscape, i.e. Edit -->
>> Preferences --> Navigator.  Change it to the site you
>> want as a "default" in the top two sections of the
>> pop-up box.  The first section determines the start-up
>> behavior, and the second section determines the "home'
>> page.
>

>> Cheers, -Don Spoon-
>
> Thanks Don I tried editing via preferences and no go. I
> set my ISP as my home page but as soon as I close Mozilla
> it defaults back to :
> file:///usr/share/doc/mozilla-browser/localstart.html. It
> does this even if I'm online at the time. THough maybe it
> does this to prevent excessive bandwidth usage if your on
> a local network? My preferred search engine setting
> dissapears too whenever I close mozilla. I like google to
> be the default and I've set that too in the preferences
> but it always defaults back to Netscape search. It's as
> though I have no Profile? Checking the Mozilla website
> and looking for my profile it has an entry for 'Default'
> , should this be mine or the one used by the browser when
> no others are found?
>
> thanks again.

You must have posted whilst I was writing my previous
response... :)

My suggestion might not work as well as I had intended as
your difficulties appear to be larger than first thought.

Here's my next suggestion:

Backup your .mozilla directory to something Mozilla won't
read - eg .bak-mozilla, for example (just renaming it will
do) when Mozilla *isn't* running - check your processes
table to verify that it isn't (eg, top, sysguard with KDE,
I'm sure Gnome has one too). Then start Mozilla afresh -
you'll be creating a new profile. If that works, then stick
with it and I'll tell you how to transfer any mail archives
over from the backup if need be. If it doesn't then we'll
have to keep racking our brains :).

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV