Re: does debian really suck this much?

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 15:13:32 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Turner wrote:

>what the heck? people seek help on debian and dont get answers, people are
>getting insulted and debian supposedly has a good rep? no one answers
>questions around here!

Huh?  I just checked the last two weeks, and found 1 question from you.
There was an answer, and a good one considering the problem statement,
just 3 hours later.  And that, at 1AM local for the good guy.  Yet, you
pop up bitchin' and moanin' about "no answer" an hour after your post.

Another poster (Kirk Strauser) commented on good/bad subj: statements.
He was kind enough not to mention "subj: xfree" as an example of very
bad.  Myself?  I passed right over it as having no appeal.  Shri
Shrikumar's reply, which I read because of this thread, was very
interesting and arouses curiosity toward the outcome.

Perhaps had you shown due diligence in trying to solve you own problem
instead of "i dont know the exact specs of my monitor..." with no
indication that you tried to find out, you or anyone else would get
better responses.  It's not necessary that you find the answers, only
that you try.  Secondly, as Kirk indicated, make the subj: header mean
something.  For example, "xfree--unable to make good configuration"
might attract a little more attention.

For myself, I have found the list to be helpful and courteous.  There
are some jerks, and if they make knowledgeable contributions, I can
pretty well live with it---hey, that's life.  Jerks that don't
contribute beyond bitching, can piss up a rope.

>no wonder debian has a rep of being the hardest
>damn distro to install. no one can get solutions to their issues.

Not if you do your homework first.
--
gt
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---