Re: D-Link DFE-650TX

> > The D-Link DFE-650TX+ does not work?  Or the DFE-530TX+ does not work?
> > I personally have the DFE-530TX+ and it works fine with Linux.

> If both cards you mentioned work, even better.

I have to try to be clear.  Sorry but A-R is hyphenated and I am a
pedantic sort.  This is just a rehash of my data.

The original poster was asking about the DFE-650TX.  No '+' in the
name.  I know nothing about that card.  It sounds new.  I myself was
hoping for information about it and perhaps someone will be able to
add reports about it.  It is probably similar to the DFE-530TX?
variety.  But you never know.  It could be completely different.  When
in doubt about if hardware is supported or not I recommend that you
avoid it.  Especially since other options are available which without
doubt are supported and have low cost.

But I had to ask about the DFE-530TX+ because of your comments about
the '+' and that was the only one with a '+' of which I was aware. I
was guessing there was confusion about the particular part numbers on
the card.  I had a DFE-530TX+ and it worked fine.  I know that is an
extremely popular and well selling card.  I see that for sale
everywhere.

A friend is a staunch D-Link fan and he has several DFE-530TX+ and I
have heard nothing about about them.  Which contrasts to me who is a
staunch Linksys fan.  I have deployed a number of the Linksys LNE100TX
cards across several versions of the card.  They all use the same
tulip driver.  This card works well for me.  A minor annoyance with
the tulip driver is that in Debian you have to select it specifically
while the realtek driver is automatically available.

I also knew it was reported that the '+' used the realtek driver while
the non-'+' version used the via-rhine driver.  So similar in name but
different in driver that it is bound to to pull people into confusion
and much trouble.  It is a shame.

On unloaded 1GHz class Athlon machines on an unloaded switched
100BaseTX network running 'netperf' for benchmarking I can get almost
100% of the theoretical bandwidth available between any combination of
those cards.  I can measure no performance difference between those
cards.

Bob