Linux Firewall

Hello All-

I was wondering if you guys knew is it was possible to
make Linux (Debian) a firewall for packets comign in
from the router? I would like the machines to get
their internet connection from the router, but to
first have Linux be the firewall before the packets
actually reach the machines on my network.

The only thing which comes to mind is to configure
linux's IP to be on the DMZ zone on the router. This
effectively places the linux box outside of my
network. But what I do not know if it will filter all
packets then reaching the router? If this works this
would mean that the packets reaching all the machines
on my network should already have passed Linux's
firewall.

Does this sound right?